Is written/photo/au...

Is written/photo/audio BE from another observer acceptable  

Wendy Hill
Solved

Is it acceptable to submit Breeding Evidence that we receive via verbal/written description or photo/audio from a) a registered PA or general Atlasser or b) a non-registered Atlasser (eg. friend or landowner)? 

If so then what is the protocol for reporting? Does the RC or PA write up the checklist? Do we include the name of the individual who provided the evidence?

Thanks

Topic starter Posted : 18/06/2021 1:59 pm

Hi Wendy,

Sorry, your question fell between the cracks! If you're made aware of records, then the best approach is to first try to get the observer to submit the data themselves; you could offer to set up an account for them and help them get going. That's by far the best approach as hopefully then they'll enter future data into the atlas too 🙂

If that doesn't work, then I think the next best thing would be to get in touch with your RC to create a regional account for the region in question and submit the records under that account, adding as much detail as possible, including the name of the observer if you have their permission. (Obviously in this case you are an RC, so you'd want to coordinate with your other RCs in Region 18!). If there are external links to the source (e.g. an iNaturalist record or eBird checklist) then those would be great to include in the checklist. I wouldn't spend too much effort on these unless they are for really significant records. 

Hope that helps/make sense. I think keeping those sorts of records out of people's personal accounts will help emphasize that the observation wasn't made by you.

Mike

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/07/2021 3:28 pm

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 4MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share:
Birds Canada Privacy Policy | Accessibility Policy
Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas, Birds Canada, 115 Front Street, P.O. Box 160 Port Rowan, ON, N0E 1M0 Canada
Phone: 1-519-586-3531 E-mail: onatlas@birdscanada.org