H and S codes and S...

H and S codes and Safe Breeding Dates  

Jason Miller
Solved

Based on the Sappy Hour this evening, I think there is still some confusion about when the H and S codes can be used. The most recent Appendix states 

H - Species observed in suitable nesting Habitat during its breeding season.
S - Singing male or adult producing other sounds associated with breeding (e.g., calls or drumming)
in suitable nesting habitat during the species' breeding season.

(emphasis added)

from Table G1. Breeding evidence codes (expanded version).

I would suggest that is should instead read something like

H - Species observed in suitable nesting Habitat during its safe dates.

S - Singing male or adult producing other sounds associated with breeding (e.g., calls or drumming)
in suitable nesting habitat during the species' safe dates.

I think that reflects the message that was given on the SappyHour presentation.

There was a list of breeding codes used in the presentation that had additional clarifications about when those codes may be used, but I cannot find that on NatureCounts or BirdsOntario

Topic starter Posted : 13/04/2021 8:43 pm

Hi Jason,

That's a good suggestion - I'll pass it on. Note that there's a "Cautions" section of Appendix G which reminds atlassers that they need to be cautious in some cases (e.g. singing at stop-over sites in migration) and to consult the safe dates chart. All of the information about breeding dates and safe dates and the table you are looking for are in the next appendix (Appendix H: Safe dates/breeding dates) and can be accessed directly from https://www.birdsontario.org/safe-dates/

Mike Burrell

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/04/2021 8:51 pm

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 4MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share:
Birds Canada Privacy Policy | Accessibility Policy
Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas, Birds Canada, 115 Front Street, P.O. Box 160 Port Rowan, ON, N0E 1M0 Canada
Phone: 1-519-586-3531 E-mail: onatlas@birdscanada.org