Advanced Point Coun...

Advanced Point Counts data entry  

Ginny Moore
Solved

I'm getting a little frustrated with the way the current setup for submitting advanced point counts works. 

I did 15 point counts this week along a single road covering two squares.  Each time I have to change the location, the map goes right back to the map of Canada and I have to zoom, zoom, zoom in to get back to the square that I've been working in.  Is there no way to simply go back to the square itself rather than all this zooming in?

Topic starter Posted : 18/06/2021 12:14 pm
 Ginny Moore

It would also be nice to be able to edit the location once you've finished a form. 

I have just entered the results for Point 9, saved and finished, and then realized that what I'd just entered were the results for Point 19.  I've deleted the form as I wasn't able to make that change so now have to re-enter everything again as Point 19.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/06/2021 12:24 pm

Hi Ginny! 

Thank you for your feedback,  

I'm sorry for the frustration that the advanced point count entry portal has caused,

We will be working on improving the data entry for advanced point counts and special surveys in the future. 

If you would prefer, there is an option to submit standard point counts - the standard point count portal will allow you to 'jump' to a selected square rather than zooming in. 

Thank you for your patience!

Kaelyn 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/06/2021 3:52 pm
 Ginny Moore

Thanks, Kaelyn.  I guess I'll enter the remaining 9 point counts that I've completed this week as standards, and do future counts as standard instead of advanced.

It's a shame the system isn't set up properly especially when we were strongly encouraged to do the advanced if we had the skills to do so.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/06/2021 5:13 pm
 Pam Martin

Hi Kaelyn,

yes, I’m behind in getting my point count data entered.  I somehow am unable to get the newly created off road sites entered.  When I put in the lat and long data and try to give the site a name, the name doesn’t ‘stick’ and I am left with a non-named site. Is there a video describing the exact process to enter these ones? I have collected the data using the advanced technique.  Thanks much.

Pam

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/07/2021 9:39 am

Hi Pam!

The naming for special surveys (including the 6-interval point count), has a bit of a bug where the name given by Atlassers is not 'sticking'. 

These sites will still be stored in the database with the correct lat-lon, and with a unique site code.

This means that your data will still be associated with the correct location, but that the point count names may be more ambiguous if you are searching through your list of dataforms. 

We are hoping to have this resolved soon, there may be an option to change site names of lists in the future, but this has not been finalized yet! Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Kindest regards

Kaelyn 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/07/2021 3:12 pm

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 4MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share:
Birds Canada Privacy Policy | Accessibility Policy
Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas, Birds Canada, 115 Front Street, P.O. Box 160 Port Rowan, ON, N0E 1M0 Canada
Phone: 1-519-586-3531 E-mail: onatlas@birdscanada.org