I work for an Indigenous community. Who should I contact to request data from previous atlases?
Data from Atlas-1 (1981-1985) and Atlas-2 (2001-2005) can be downloaded from: the NatureCounts web portal. Contact the Atlas office (email@example.com) if you need more information.
What are some ways Indigenous communities and Atlas-3 could work together?
- A member of the Atlas management team or Indigenous Engagement Committee would be delighted to discuss the Atlas project with your community to explore possible ways of working together.
- Learning and understanding is important and ongoing. Ideas and suggestions are most welcome. To help get a conversation started, we offer a few potential ways to be involved in the Atlas:
- Participating in an Atlas committee or working group to provide advice and guidance on key atlas decisions.
- Liaising between your community and the Atlas, and establishing and facilitating communication between the Atlas and your community.
- Using your knowledge of birds and their songs to survey birds and to gather evidence of bird breeding.
- Placing acoustic recorders in remote sites to record bird songs and recovering them after several weeks.
- Participating in efforts to identify the songs of the species recorded by the acoustic recorders.
- Organizing and presenting at community gatherings to share traditional ecological knowledge, local and science knowledge.
- Guiding an atlas expedition into remote traditional territories.
- Following Atlas social media to stay up to date on progress and information about your area.
- Participating in training opportunities to enhance bird identification and atlassing skills.
Who do I contact if I am working for an Indigenous Nation or organization and we would like to get more involved in the atlas?
You can contact Julee Boan (Ontario Nature Boreal Program Manager) firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I join the Indigenous Engagement Committee?
You can contact the Indigenous Engagement Committee Co-Chairs, Russ Weeber email@example.com and Ted Cheskey firstname.lastname@example.org.